Optimizing a website for search engines is a page by page activity that takes research and quality, relevant and valuable content. To succeed, SEO practices should be part of the content creation and promotion process. Here are 9 steps to optimize a webpage.
1. Write relevant and valuable copy for your target audience.
2. Link to referenced content on the copy (when applicable) by using hyperlinks.
3. Using the Google Keyword AdWords Tool, get ideas about search volume for different key phrases relevant to the subject and the copy you wrote. Think about the target audience and what phrases they might be searching for in Google to find this type page.
4. Revise the title or header of the copy you had based on the keyword research. Generally your Content Management System will use this header as the page URL, so it is important for it to be descriptive.
5. Write a title tag that describes the page in 70 characters or less (including spaces), remember to include the name of your company at the end of the tag, not at the beginning.
6. Write a Meta description tags in 155 characters or less (including spaces). This tag should be used to describe a bit further the copy of the page.
7. Publish the page.
8. Promote the new page via social media, email, and any other applicable channels.
9. Avoid duplicate content in the future, this content should only live under this URL. If this content has to be duplicated, Google (as in the verb) “canonical URL tags”, learn about them, and implement them to point search engines to the original page.